This post is also available in: German
If you live in a place where there are quite a lot of rainy days each year, you certainly know the challenge of handling curly hair on such days. Whenever it rains there is a lot of humidity, causing curly hair to look extra-frizzy. The number one rule to fight frizz on rainy days is to keep you curls moisturized! This way they don’t need to get the moisture from outside (which is what causes them to be frizzy).
Now that is easily said, but can be quite a challenge. Therefore I would like to describe what I mean by keeping your curls moisturized:
- If you haven’t already done so: Stop using products which contain silicones and/or sulfates. This way your curls can better absorb and lock in the moisture provided by those products.
- Use more conditioner than you would on a sunny day. If using more doesn’t do the trick, try deep conditioning your curls or use a leave-in conditioner.
- Use a defining gel like the Mop Top anti-frizz gel or the Kinky Curly Curling Custard and make sure to use enough of it to keep that frizz away for a whole day.
- If your curls begin to look frizzy after a few hours, take along a bottle of leave-in conditioner and add a water-conditioner mix to your curls once or twice throughout the day to smooth down any unwanted frizz.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself (or your curls) – rock your curls also on a rainy day and accept that your curls will look a bit more frizzy and voluminous on rainy days.
If all of the above tips don’t improve the frizz you’re trying to fight, try any kind of hairstyle with which the frizz doesn’t show 🙂