Hi curlies! This rope braid tutorial is for those of you who are looking for an easy way to pull back your curls. This hairstyle is not only easily but also quickly done and you don’t even need to be able to braid!
I know, this hairstyle looks quite difficult, but it’s actually not. The only tricky part is adding curls from the other side of the parting line to the “braid”, but when you have two mirrors (like in most bathrooms) you should be able to do this without any problems!
- 1 hair tie
- maybe a few bobby pins to fix loose curls
Rope Braid Tutorial:
1. Start by separating a small part of your curls along the parting line from the front.
2. Split the section into two equally big sections – a front and back section.
3. Start your rope braid by crossing the front section across the back section.
4. The next time you cross the front section across the back section, add more curls to the braid (just grab some curls from the front).
5. Repeat this a few times and only add new curls to the front section right before crossing it to the back (never add curls to the back section)
6. Then start adding curls from the other side of your parting line. This is necessary to get the rope braid to look nice all around. Remember to add these curls to the front sections and not to the back section
7. This is what step 6 looks like when I’ve added the curls to the front section. In order to get all of my curls into the braid, I also added some curls from the side the braid is on and not only from the back.
8. Keep on repeating these steps until you’ve added all the curls to your braid
9. When all of your curls are in the braid: twist each strand. If you’ve started your braid on your left side you need to twist both of them clockwise. If you’ve started your braid on your right side, you need to twist both of them counterclockwise. Make sure they’re both tightly twisted (to prevent curls from falling out of the braid).
10. Fix the braid with a small hair tie
11. Pull your braid a bit to make it look bigger. Be careful while doing so to prevent curls from falling out. Also fix any chaotic curls with bobby pins
Done – the rope braid from the front…
… from the back
and from the side
Creating this hairstyle took me a little over 5 minutes. If this seems too complicated, try the simpler version – the rope braid side updo. If you’re able to do the side updo, give this tutorial another try – the tutorial is almost the same!