This tutorial about creating a pull through braid in curly hair is great for everyone who either doesn’t like braiding (braiding could mess up your curls) or for all of you who don’t know how to braid and also don’t like to fishtail-braid (ugh, this definitely feels like an arms workout). Or maybe you just like the look of it!
This hairstyle takes about 5 minutes to create and you will need:
some hair ties. I like these see through ones from Asos (but be careful when removing them – I always just cut them open)
1 bobby pin
Tutorial for the pull through braid
1. Bring back the top front part of your curls and fix them with a hair tie (if you prefer to pull back all of your curls you can also do this tutorial, but start by pulling your curls back into a ponytail).
2. Separate the pulled back curls into a upper and lower section. The sections should be equally big.
3. Now grab the upper section and again split it in half – this time creating a left and a right section
4. Pull the lower section up in between the just created left and right section. To make sure I don’t mess up all the carefully created sections, I temporarily pin up the lower section.
5. Then tie the left and right section together using a hair tie.
6. Release the now upper section and split it into a left and a right section (like you did in 3.)
7. Repeat 4. & 5.: Pull up the lower section in between the just created left and right section and tie them together
8. Repeat steps 3.-6. until you reach the end of your curls, then fix both sections with hair tie.
9. Carefully pull your braid apart (this will make it look bigger).
10. To hide the first hair tie, I grab a small section from right next to this hair tie and wrap it around the hair tie and finally fix it with a bobby pin
You can create a lot of different hairstyle with a pull through braid – you could for example also pull back all of your curls instead of only the top layer!
Hi! I’m Sandra - a curl loving Swiss blogger who discovered her love for curly hair about 4 years ago. Ever since then my curly lovestory continued - I’ve been trying new methods to take care of my curls and have experimented with new curly hairstyles. With this blog I’d like to pass my curly love on to you.